Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Friday, April 24, 2009

Poor Government

I am currently job hunting at a time that seems less than ideal.

I just found out that the state position I interviewed for 2 months ago, and went through a background check for, has been eliminated due to a lack of funds.

The county job I interviewed for last year, and that I was the top candidate for, is on hiatus due to a lack of funds.

The city job I applied for has also had all interviews cancelled due to a lack of funds.

What the hell is happening?

I spent yesterday looking at jobs online, and it's definitely a desperate market that favors the employer. Some positions are asking for 5-7 years industry experience, when a couple years ago they were looking for 3-4. I saw some jobs that could be done by someone with a Master's degree, or a Bachelor's degree and some experience, that now require a PhD.

I applied for a job yesterday that asked applicants to include their preferred salary range with their resume. Once you submitted your information online, you received an automated message reminding you that you would not be considered if you did not include this information.

I can understand a job listing only providing an approximate pay range, or stating "salary dependent on experience" but to force someone to give a figure prior to the interview (and finding out the exact job duties) strikes me as a bit shady. I feel the employer is hoping someone will lowball themselves and they can save some money on the salary.

I suppose this is common for office positions, but in my past experience science jobs were always upfront with their payscale.

I spent $40,000 out of my own pocket for my Master's degree. I hope I get something back eventually.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home