Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ice Fighting

I went to my first hockey game last night even though I'm generally not interested in sports. I've never even been to a high school football game, so I had a feeling I was going to be bored. Actually, I found it rather amusing how they shuffled players in and out of the rink very quickly while the game was ongoing. I was impressed by their ability to cycle while other team members were still battling for the puck elsewhere on the ice. Sometimes instead of using the little doors the players simply crawled over the edge of their enclosure like roaches.

However, I must admit I was hoping to see a brawl.

I was not disappointed. I'm not sure how the fight started, but all of a sudden two men threw down their hockey sticks, removed their gloves and started punching each other.

It was awesome.

I thought, "This is much better that a huge pile of men shoving each other. These guys took off their gloves! And the referees didn't separate them right away!"

To my surprise, I later found out that fighting is condoned, and there are rules about what is acceptable fighting. There's an entire Wikipedia article about it.

I may have to start watching more sports.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SonjaB said...

Hockey is a great sport to watch. The fights aren't as good as they were years ago, before the rules were put into place, but they are still fun the watch.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in Memphis, Tn my late-husband and I went to many games to support the River Kings. I was annoyed by frequent fights. I was always, like, Stop the hell having your hissy-shit-fits and get back to the game already!
Ame in TN

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home