Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Owoopok

Many of you probably grew up with a fear of the Bogeyman.

This is because your parents didn't have enough imagination to traumatize you properly.

My grandmother made up a creature she called the "Owoopok" who stole naughty children and sold them into slavery. If we misbehaved he would show up with his sack and stuff us in it.

What made this story really terrifying was how plausible she made it. She told me that during the day the Owoopok disguised himself as a homeless man with red eyes, who panhandled on a particular street in her neighborhood, while wrapped in a blanket.

I have no doubt that she chose a real homeless man with bloodshot eyes, who carried his belongings in a bag (that looked just like it might be large enough to contain children).

All I had to do to confirm her story was go to visit the bakery where he dug in the dumpsters for breakfast, and thus add another layer of terror to my childhood.

My grandmother was a very clever woman.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rae // theNotice said...

WOW.

Um, I was afraid of monsters in my closet. Like NORMAL CHILDREN.

*hugs* you poor thing!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home