Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Drama Central

I'm going to be couch-surfing for the next month. I could not stay at my old apartment anymore. Odd Guy got too psycho, and I had an emergency move yesterday. My dad and boyfriend moved most of my belongings to my parents' house, and I'm staying with friends and the bare necessities.

There's a lot of gritty details, and I'm still digesting, but the major points are:

Odd Guy got progressively crazier this week, and more angry we didn't go along with his control freak plans. The last straw for me was when I caught him putting pubic hair on my towel on Thursday night to retaliate. I didn't confront him because I didn't want him to completely freak out and vandalize all my things before I moved out. I stayed with a friend Friday night.

On Saturday morning, I told him I was planning to move out with a friend. I tried to be casual, non-accusatory and "played dumb." I said, "I'd just rather live with a friend. You don't need to pro-rate January rent; just give me the deposit and I'll be gone, thanks."

He refused and said "I'll give you my answer tomorrow." I asked him, "Oh gee, does that mean you'll have the check tomorrow?" He kept repeating that he'll "answer" me tomorrow even though I was sure he was just trying to be a jerk and string me along. Eventually he freaked out and said a number of crazy things:

1. He'll never give me any money back.
2. I should have appreciated that he did me a "favor" by letting me move in, even though I was paying rent.
3. He figured out that I was a "conservative" (I think he meant selfish) person when I kept locking my bedroom door.
4. It's "his" apartment, and I didn't have the right to keep him out of my room.
5. If I was a decent person, I should have offered him extra money during the time in December when no one else had moved in.
6. It's "my fault" girls I never met or spoke to flaked out on moving in last quarter.
7. I can't complain about the 5 people living there because this week "doesn't count" due to a girl being gone for a number of days due to a family funeral.
8. He didn't break the contract by moving in 3 people without my consent. I agreed to rent the room, and never made him promise not to put 5 people in a 1 bedroom apartment. (Hmm, maybe because it's common sense?)
8. He wasn't afraid of me telling the apartment management about his illegal sublets because he's "there legally" so he's safe, but everyone else can get into trouble. (Obviously he doesn't understand how things work).

My fiance showed up, and Odd Guy yelled "I don't know you" and told him to get out because he was not renting there. He slammed the door on my fiance and locked it while I was inside with him. My fiance was afraid he was going to attack me, and told him he was going to call the police. Odd Guy told him to go ahead.

Can you see why I had to leave that day?

I doubt I will get my deposit back, but if it means I never hear from him again, it's worth it. At the moment, he's 100% wrong because he has my money and I don't owe him a dime. Legally, he doesn't have a leg to stand on, especially since he lied to everyone else and told them I was going to move in January anyway. The other roommates are understandably upset about the situation, and are also pessimistic that they will get their deposit back. I will not be surprised if they decide to flee the coop as well.

Unfortunately, Odd Guy has my parents' address because it was printed on my checks. If he contacts me again I think filing restraining order would be a good idea.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Wow. Just. Wow. That's insane. Thank goodness you're out of there, that guy's an all-out whack job.

I can only hope that your next living situation will be drama-free.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fooking hell!
That's just about the craziest story I've ever heard, including my mother's tale of the crazy male doctor who only let his appartment to young, good-looking women and evicted them when he didn't get sex...
Good luck with the moving etc.
Rachel

7:08 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

I don't know how you manage to find these insane living situations... but I am SO GLAD you are out of this one as well. Yeesh. What a nightmare.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Rae // theNotice said...

O.o *hugs*

Wait, so I have a question - why aren't you just living with your parents? I would have given that a swing before moving in with OG :P What a psycho. I'm glad you're out of there now, hon!!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Jesus, girl. I don't know where you find these people, but if I were you I'd move in with my fiance, stat.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Thanks Ali, metalsunflower and Princess!

Rae and Ginger, my parents' home and fiance's new apartment are a little far to commute daily to school (especially since I can't afford a car until I graduate). I've talked to my professor about shortening my project a tiny bit, so I can get out sooner!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home