Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Invited Strangers to Our Home

This is a story about someone I no longer live with.

One day, after returning home from class, my roommate (whose nickname was Midget), regaled me with tales of some men she met. They stopped her on the street to ask for directions, she struck up a conversation with them, and everyone became fast friends.

I thought she's too trusting, but oh well.

Then Midget said, "They're coming over right now. You don't mind, do you?"

"What, right now? Today?" I was aghast.

"Yes, they're on their way," she said calmly.

"Well, it's too late for me to object, isn't it?"

"I guess, but they're really nice!"

"Uh huh. How well do you know these people? Do you even know their last names?"

"No, but don't worry, they know our phone number."

"Gee, that makes me feel a hell of a lot better. So are they students?"

"No."

"Do they live around here?"

"No, they're visiting from out of the country."

"How old are they?"

"Like 30." (FYI, we were about 20 at the time, so 30 to us was ancient).

"How many are coming?"

"I don't know. I said he could bring his friends."

"Let me understand you correctly. You invited some old guys you met ON THE STREET, and told them to bring an unknown number of possibly sketchy friends, who could KILL US and then flee the country without anyone knowing, and you think it's okay because they know our PHONE NUMBER!?"

"Um, yeah."

"What in the world made you think this was a good idea?"

"They seemed really nice."

I was speechless at her stupidity. I thought it couldn't get any worse. Then she said, "I'm going out to get some ice cream. Let them in when they get here okay?"

"You want to leave me alone with some people I've never seen before, that you don't even know?'

"I'll be back right away."

I thought, "It doesn't take long to get stabbed to death."

After she left, I left too. They're her guests, if there's no one to let them in, she's the one being rude.

The aftermath: Two men came over. She survived. I got her to admit she was stupid, and she promised to never do anything like that again.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Did you actually let them in???

And I thought I was trusting!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Princess, I did not let them in. They came after I left, and my roommate let them in when she came back. :: headdesk ::

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home