Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Roommate Saga Part 2

Sorry Part 2 took so long. I just started my second job.

For Part 1, read here:

At my old apartment I lived with 3 other girls. Sleazy Chick graduated in June and went back to her parents' house. The lease expired at the end of August, and we all assumed she would come back periodically to move out her things. She had lived at the apartment for 3 years, and had a vast quantity of furniture, knick-knacks, paintings, kitchenware, potted plants, etc. It looked like it would take multiple trips for her to get everything, and we weren't in a hurry (yet).

Roommates 2 and 3 were out of town for the summer, and subletted their rooms to 2 very nice girls who were visiting from France for the summer.

Since I was the only "original" roommate in town for the summer, I was in charge of collecting the rent money from everyone, and turning it into the landlord (who insisted on getting all the rent at one time, or charging everyone a late fee, regardless of whose check was missing). Roommates 2 and 3 wrote checks for July and August and left them with me. Sleazy Chick disappeared before giving me any rent money.

I left her several messages along the lines of "Can you mail me the rent? It's due in __ days."

After a while, she finally called back and said she'd bring the rent money "this weekend" when she came to pick up some of her belongings. I told her to leave it on the kitchen counter if I wasn't there, and to leave a check dated for August as well.

I came home to find she did come by, but left no checks, so I called again, with no response. After the rent was past due, she finally told me her "dad had already mailed the check directly to the landlord." Gee, couldn't you have told me earlier? You know, like during one of the 4 times I left you messages?

As annoying as all of this was, I wasn't particularly angry until I received a text message from her that said "Jack is moving into my room in August."

What? Who the hell is "Jack"? You subletted your room to some random man I've never met? And you don't even have the decency (or courage) to tell me in person, or call?

I left her multiple messages, asking her for details about Jack. Her text gave me no indication as to who he was, when he was moving in, if he was a convicted felon, etc.

Seeing as how we only had a month left on the lease at that point, I was really worried what kind of person would take the trouble to move into a place for only a month. A recent parolee? Someone who got kicked out of a halfway house?

I wasn't even sure if she had subletted to a fellow student. She dodged my calls for a week, so I started suspecting something was very wrong with Jack e.g. she had rented to a 50-year-old creep she found on Craigslist, who thought moving in and out for 30 days was worth the trouble to be around 3 college girls.

Stay tuned for Part 3: Jack Moves In

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home