Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Friday, November 30, 2007

Background Check

I'm applying for a position that requires a background check. A special agent came to my house today to ask me some routine questions. The interview itself went smoothly and I have nothing in particular to say about it.

However, what happened right before the interview was a perfect example of someone being too persistent.

I opened the door to the Agent and offered him a seat. Before he even sat down, a teenage boy came and knocked on my front door. The Agent said, "I have no idea who that is."

The teen said, "Hey I'm knockin' on neighbors' doors, tryin' to get enough points." (One of his cohorts had already come by earlier, trying to sell magazines, solicit subscription donations for children's shelters, and earn enough points for a prize).

I said, "Sorry, but someone else already came by."

"But I didn't see a bug-off tag," he whined.

"What?"

He explained, "You're supposed to get a door tag that shows you were already visited."

I thought, "Do you think I'm lying to you?" but said, "I didn't get one. Sorry, but I already gave a donation." (Bug-off kid).

"Did you know it's illegal to solicit donations?" (Then what the hell are you doing?)

"I don't mean to be rude, but I'm in the middle of a job interview."

The teen peeked in and saw the Agent. "Oh, is he interviewing you right now?"

"Yes."

Rather than leaving, despite having been given 3 very good reasons to do so, the teen said, "Hey man, do you want to help me get some points?"

The Agent declined.

I wanted to say, "Sorry, but my employment prospects are more important than you getting a bike," but that would have been rude.

Instead, I politely expressed my disinterest again. As I was shutting the door he yelled, "I'll be back in ten minutes!"

Thankfully, he did not come back.

What cheek.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home