Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Need to Move

I am officially fed up. Those of you who have been following my blog know about the litany of horrors I've been subjected to at my crappy apartment. My horrible landlord bullied me and my roommates because we were students that were too poor to hire a lawyer and too busy with school to fight a lawsuit.

My landlord lowered the rent in September (for the month of October) because I had no hot water for 12 days and they were afraid I was going to move.

Today Mrs. Landlord called me and says I didn't send her enough rent money for November. "Oh no, you misunderstood. The discount was just for October only. The regular rent applies from now on."

I kept living here because of the discount. She certainly gave me the impression that the discount was permanent because they were selling the house and couldn't get anyone else to rent.

Her husband happened to be at the house when she originally offered me the discount by phone in September. I immediately typed up a revised rental agreement and had her husband sign it because I didn't trust these people. I was right.

The landlady tried to weasel out of our agreement by saying, "I don't know anything about my husband signing any papers."

I gave him a copy to take home. It's not my fault he lost it. I can send you another copy.

"Well, the house is in my name. I take care of everything for the house. He can't make deals with you."

Then why is he willing to sign agreements?

"No, no, the discount is just for October. You need to send me more money now."

That's not fair. By signing, your husband told me I would pay the discounted rate perpetually. If you disagreed, you should have notified me right away, until waiting for me to pay for another month.

Her justification for charging me extra was "Oh woe is me. I have $800 in bills a month and your rent won't cover it."

Your money management problems are not my problem.

She continued to whine, "You know, your water bill was $400."

Um, that's only because you didn't pay for months, until the utility company shut off my water.

"I pay $85 a month so you can have internet."

That's a flat out lie. For $85 a month I should have data packets being delivered to me by cherubs carrying silver platters.

I read her the riot act. I told her the lack of communication between her and her husband was not my problem and I was fully paid for the month. I am not sending her any more rent money.

I'm sure these bastards will "forget" to pay the utilities this month again in retaliation. I'm moving. I would rather live in a cheap motel than deal with people who barge in unannounced. (Earlier this month they sent a repairman over with his own key. He unlocked the door and walked into my apartment without knocking while I was home). I'm going to store my belongings at my parents' house and live with the bare necessities.

Too bad I couldn't have decided this before I paid for November. December will find me in a new address.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Thank GOD you are getting out there!

I love this line by the way For $85 a month I should have data packets being delivered to me by cherubs carrying silver platters.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the while singing hymns while a ray of light follows you...

3:12 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Get out of there! You have put up with their crap for FAR too long.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I'm thrilled that you're finally ditching that place. Best of luck finding a new one.

The advantage of having paid November is now you'll have longer to search for your new place, and hopefully the extra time will let you be extra selective.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Fab: Yes, and $400 water it should be Chanel No. 5

Princess: That is my plan!

Ali: Thank you. I already have a lead on an apartment from a friend of a friend.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Good on you for handing that woman her own ass on a plate. Good luck finding a new place!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Thanks Ginger!

12:35 PM  
Blogger SonjaB said...

"The house is in my name and he has no say" is total BS. If they are married then they own it all 50/50. If he signed she has to abide by it.

Get out now.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Rae // theNotice said...

I am linking this!!

Advice: Trash the place before you move out to teach those bitches a lesson :P

8:38 AM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Sonja, the property tax bill came the other day. (I'm not sure why it was sent to me). Both Mr. and Mrs. Landlord are on it.

Rae, as much as I'd like to, I think Mr. Landlord has done a pretty good job himself already.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home