Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Friday, December 08, 2006

1 Man + 6 Women = Fear

An example of match-making gone very, very wrong:

My Mom decided to "help" our handyman find a girlfriend. You see, when you work for my Mom you don't just get a salary, she tries to throw in a wife as a bonus.

My Mom had a Friend who knew a Woman who was single and about the same age as the Man. The plan was for my Mom to bring the Man to lunch while her Friend brought the Woman.

It turns out that my Mom's Friend didn't know the Woman, she actually knew the Woman's Cousin. My Mom did not know that the plan was for the Friend to bring the Cousin, who would bring the Woman.

Therefore, when my Mom and the Man arrived at the restaurant they met her Friend, the Woman and the Cousin.

Are you still with me? A blind date has turned into a luncheon with 4 women and 1 man.

It gets worse.

The Friend had mentioned the set-up to Two Ladies who worked in the same shopping complex as the restaurant.

The Two Ladies decided to drop by to say hello. (Translation: nose around).

Then, they decided, "Oh well, since we're here, we might as well stay for lunch."

A look of fear began to creep into the man's eyes as he realized he was having lunch with 6 women who were scrutinizing him, his appearance, his personality and his general suitability.

My Mom felt very nervous when she realized the Two Ladies were much prettier than the Woman they wanted to set the Man up with.

You see, the Woman was a bit grumpy, stocky and plain. She also had a rather deep voice, verging on masculine. By herself she might not have appeared so badly, but in comparison to the 5 other women at the table it was painfully obvious that she was, by far, the least attractive one.

At the end of lunch the Man offered to pay (in order not to look cheap in front of all these women). My Mom felt very sorry for him because she knew he expected to be treating only 2 or 3 other people, and not 6.

Afterwards the Man told my Mom, "I'm sorry. I just can't. She's so . . . um, you know. But thanks." As far as I know he has not tried contacting our family since.

When my Mom recounted the story I told her not to attempt further match-making. I know she won't listen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home