Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Foot Connoisseur

There is an individual in the outer periphery of my circle of acquaintances that has developed a reputation for putting his foot in his mouth, mostly when talking to my friend "Terry" (who is African American).

Incident 1: A conversation with Terry
Foot Connoisseur: "What was your name again? I always get you mixed up with [your Asian friend]."
Terry: "It's Terry."
FC: "Oh, I thought it was Tamesha or something. You know, like Tamesha Brown? I love names like that. Names like Tamesha Brown, or Shamika Jones, or . . ."
Terry: (confused look)

We thought this was funny because he meant well, but later mishaps proved how awkward he could be in his quest to be "helpful."

Incident 2: Terry was wearing golden chandelier earrings
FC: "Hey, I like your earrings. They're uh, really African."
Terry: (WTF?)

Incident 3: Terry was considering auditioning for a part in a show
Another Foot-Eater: "I don't think you're right for the part."
Terry: "Do you mean I'm not talented enough?"
AFE: "No, but I guess you could wear whiteface."
FC: "That's a great idea!" (with earnest enthusiasm)
Everyone else: "Are you crazy?"

The Foot Connoisseur developed such a reputation that when I showed up to a party wearing an Asian qipao someone said, "I bet you anything when [Foot Connoisseur] sees you he'll say something culturally insensitive." Then everyone burst into giggles. Sadly, he did not show up until the very end, and had no time to say anything memorable.

However, he made up for it later, during his clumsy attempt at informing my Jewish friend that she didn't look Jewish. He reached out, tweaked her nose, and said she "lacked the Ashkenazi schnoz."

I'd label him a harmless fool, if not for his unfortunate habit of stepping on other people's feet.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Wow, he needs to find his "edit button" before he gets in real trouble.

You keep writing posts like this, Snark, and I'll keep coming back for more.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home