Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Monday, August 27, 2007

Engagements

Two of my friends recently announced they were getting married (not to each other) in June 2008. There was a brief moment of panic at the dinner party when everyone asked "Which weekend?" and then a sigh of relief (especially from both brides) when the dates turned out to be non-conflicting.

One bride then regaled us with the tale of her engagement, which did not involve a proposal.

Exactly.

Her mother asked her boyfriend in a teasing manner, "So when are you guys getting married?"

He replied calmly, "Next summer."

My friend yelled, "There's an answer?"

"Yeah." He maintained his calm.

"But shouldn't we get engaged first?"

"I thought we already were."

My friend accepted this with, "I need to start planning!" (I probably would have responded with, "So where's my damn ring?")

She got her ring a little while later. It was custom-made and set with stones from jewelry from her family. Her fiancé loves the ring. His comment was "Yeah! It looks like I'm making money!"

Although nontraditional, now they have an amusing story to tell the grandchildren.

By the way, that's not the most unromantic "proposal" I've heard of. Someone told me he asked his girlfriend to marry him while they were at Round Table Pizza. Although he didn't say so, I believe there's a distinct possibility he was wearing his Star Wars tie at the time.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home