Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Yet Another One

I went to 4 weddings this year, and I've lost track of the number of engagements among my circle. There's 5? 6 now? I'm not sure.

A 7th? couple just announced their engagement. I hope I have a job next year that can pay for all the presents. Luckily I already have enough dresses and and shoes from this year.

Meanwhile, there will probably be an increase in the number of wedding-related horror stories. For example, someone I'll arbitrarily refer to as Bride5 recently told me about the other really unhappy people she encountered while buying her own dress.

At the shop Bride5 witnessed another bride burst into tears because nothing in the store suited her. She was a large woman, and the salespeople brought her nothing but huge fluffy 80s monstrosities that made her look even larger.

At the same store, Bride5 overheard another bride telling the saleslady "I want this dress to still fit at my wedding." The saleslady said, "Oh lots of brides are worried about weight changes but we can alter the dress closer to the ceremony."

The bride said, "No, I'm 3 months pregnant!" (So she was looking for a magical growing dress).

The saleslady tried to be upbeat. "Oh, after I had my child I fit back into all of my old clothes in 3 months."

The response was, "Oh you did did you? Well then **** you!"

I think weddings stress people out.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger About this blog said...

You just hit on yet another reason to avoid those snooty bridal boutiques if you're going to be a pregnant bride - and to take it easy and shop online!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Rae // theNotice said...

x.x "You DON'T HAVE A MAGIC DRESS?! How dare you!!!"
Um, yah. That's realistic.

Strangely, I don't see myself in a traditional white-dress-and-church ceremony. I'm not planning to get married, actually. Don't see why it's necessary - if you really love someone, do you need a ring to make you faithful?

Just buy the happy couple five-or-maybe-six booze! Or a sales lady's head on a stick. Whichever!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Snark Scribe said...

Coralie, online shopping is the way to go!

Rae, I think booze will make a great gift.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Oh, I remember that lovely 3-year period when everyone I knew got married, and I got broke.

Five years later, half of them were getting divorced, which made THEM broke. Neither scenario is any fun (and yes, the divorce statistic is true).

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home