Snark Scribe

Not all of us can meet people of quality

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Ambiguity in the CIA

I received an email, with the subject: "Career Opportunities with the CIA."

At first I thought it was spam; perhaps a "cheep Vioxxxxxx" ad disguised as a job-recruitment email. Upon reading it I realized the sender was in earnest.

The body of the email had a graphic consisting of a sphere patchworked from the faces of many people. Next to it was the banner: NATIONAL CLANDESTINE SERVICE CAREERS. CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. THE WORK OF A NATION. THE CENTER OF INTELLIGENCE."

Oh dear. They mean business.

Then it asked:
"Are you a person of purpose, patriotism and professionalism?"
Ooh, look. Alliteration.

"If so, the National Clandestine Service of the US Central Intelligence Agency invites you to learn about sharing a vital mission that’s larger than all of us."
Larger than us? Like morbidly obese? But even more so?

"Look inside yourself. Are you ready for a world of challenge, a world of possibilities, a world of ambiguity and adventure?"
Ambiguity? Really? That's supposed to be enticing to a job applicant? I can see it now:

Applicant: "So, um, what will some of my duties be?"
Recruiter: "Oh, this and that."
Applicant: "Can you be more specific?"
Recruiter: "Various functions necessary for the functioning of your functional unit."
Applicant: "So that means I do what?"
Recruiter: "It's ambiguous."
Applicant: "Ambiguous? Wow, really? That's great!"

If one of the selling points for joining the CIA is "ambiguity" I think we're in trouble.

"Why work for a company when you can serve your nation?"
Hey, why settle for a salary when you can have ambiguity, too?


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Imaginary Broad said...

Man, that would make me so paranoid that I'd peel all of my skin off!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home